ALTHOUGH A WELL ESTABLISHED HAGUE PROGRAM, THIS IS A PILOT PROGRAM FOR OUR AGENCY! MAA is seeking 5 families who are willing to be flexible and patient as we learn the process together! Before submitting your official application, please contact us to discuss if this is the right program for your family!
Caseworker & New Client Packet
If this program is deemed a good fit, as soon as MAA receives your application documents and fee, we will assign you to one of our wonderfully competent Caseworkers. Your Caseworker will be your primary contact throughout your adoption to answer questions, provide additional information, and support you through each step of the process. At this time, we will also email you the MAA New Client Packet which includes all of the step-by-step instructions for the first stages of the adoption process, including the home study, the pre-adoptive training, the US immigration application, and the dossier.
The New Client Packet will also contain the MAA Adoption Contract and other documents that need to be signed and returned to MAA as soon as possible.
It is important to begin your home study as soon as possible because it can take several months to complete, and you cannot begin the process to pursue a particular child unless you have a current, valid home study. Once you identify your home study agency, MAA will send them required documents that must be completed and returned to MAA as part of the home study process.
- Using MAA as your home study provider (residents of Delaware, Illinois, New Jersey and Pennsylvania)
- Using another agency as your home study provider (residents of other states)
Pursuing a Waiting Child
The adoptive family should do the following research and preparation before submitting an Adoption Application to MAA to adopt a specific waiting child:
- Have a current, valid home study.
- Research the child’s special needs condition(s), including appropriate support groups for parenting a child with those special needs. Please refer to these medical resources as needed:
- Obtain detailed information from doctors, specialists, friends or families who have children with the same conditions.
- Identify medical specialists who can treat or consult about the condition of the child. If needed, please refer to this list of well-known International Adoption Medical Clinics.
- Be prepared to show proof of parental training, experience, education and/or understanding regarding the specific medical condition.
Preparing your Dossier to be Matched with a Child (Unmatched)
- Research special needs conditions listed on MAA’s Special Needs Questionnaire, including appropriate support groups for parenting a child with the special needs you selected. Please refer to these medical resources as needed:
- Line up the doctors and/or medical specialists who agree to provide their opinions and feedback about the child very quickly after receiving the referral file. There are doctors who specialize in evaluating the medical referrals for international children available for adoption. This can be challenging without advance planning! If needed, please refer to this list of well-known international adoption medical clinics.
- After discussion with an MAA caseworker, complete the online application and send in a signed copy along with the non-refundable application fee.
Receive MAA’s New Client Packet to help you get started. We will hold your hand through every step of the process!