Philippines – Post Placement Reports

Most countries have either post-placement or post adoption reporting requirements in addition to any state reporting requirements. It is imperative that you comply with agency and/or country requirements because these reports are often the only reassurance the placing country receives to know that the children are doing well.

In Philippines cases, the post-placement reports are mandatory before you can finalize your child’s adoption.  These reports inform the adoption authority about the child’s progress and the reports also go a long way in helping countries justify placing children with international families. The adoption authorities are eager to hear of the wonderful lives and loving families these children now have. It also lets them know how their efforts have made a difference for these children. There is no reason to fear providing these reports. These reports will only strengthen the foreign program and help more children to be placed with loving families.

Philippines requires that you submit written post-placement reports to MAA at one (1) month, three (3) months, five (5) months, and eight (8) months after you arrive home with your child.

These reports should include 6-8 photos of your child, with details about the health and well-being of the child, and information on how your family is adjusting. We will forward these reports to the officials in the foreign country.

In addition to the formality of the requirements, post-placement supervision also gives the adoptive parents an opportunity to discuss with the social worker any concerns they may have about the child or the family dynamics. This is not an investigative procedure it is an opportunity to have a source of ongoing support and guidance.

Adoption Finalization

It is required that families adopting from the Philippines finalize their child’s adoption in the adoptive family’s local court.  The family will then provide this final decree as well as a US birth certificate and US Certificate of Citizenship to MAA, who will forward to the Inter-Country Adoption Board (ICAB), who is the Central Authority of the Philippines.  If you would like information on ICAB, the website is:

Approximately one to two months after you have completed the mandatory post placement reports, ICAB will send MAA the Consent to Adopt form.  This form is necessary to initiate the process of finalizing your child’s adoption.  You will need to retain a lawyer in your state to assist you with this step.  Laws vary from state to state.  To understand the laws of your state, please contact a local attorney experienced with international adoption and/or your local home study agency or local support group.

After your child’s adoption is finalized, he/she will be able to receive an American birth certificate issued by your state of residence.  Birth certificates will be necessary for your child when they attend school, sign up for camp, future marriage and/or possible adoption.  Madison Adoption Associates must receive a copy of the new birth certificate.

Generally, the following items (with certified translations) will be required:

  1. Birth Certificate of the child from the Philippines
  2. Abandonment Decree from the Philippine Department of Social Welfare and Development, OR Deed of Voluntary Commitment from the child’s birthparents
  3. Placement proposal (from ICAB)
  4. Copy of original Home Study Report
  5. List of adoption expenses paid
  6. Post Placement Supervisory Report(s)
  7. Consent to Final Adoption from the Philippine Inter-Country Adoption Board
  8. Consent to Final Adoption from Madison Adoption Associates

If the name on your child’s green card does not match the name on your foreign adoption documents, or if you have given the child another name, it is advisable to complete a legal name change at the time of the finalization.  This is an excellent way of completing a name change without incurring significant additional legal expense.

Applying for the Child’s Certificate of Citizenship

The final step of the Philippines paperwork requirements is to submit your child’s US Certificate of Citizenship.  This is done by completing form N-600.  There is a $550 fee to apply for this certificate.  This packet can be mailed to you by contacting the USCIS at 800-870-3676, or you can access and download the necessary forms and instructions at the USCIS website: (click on Immigration Forms).  More information about this step will be sent to you in your Welcome Home packet.

If an IR-3/IH-3 family whose child has full US citizenship has adopted their child, this gives the family the ultimate legal protection.

Please contact Katie Schultz at or call MAA with any questions regarding the post placement reports for the Philippines.