Specific requirements of Colombia for Adoptive Applicants:
- Applicants must be at least twenty-five (25) years old and at least fifteen (15) years older than the child to be adopted at the time of application.
- The oldest prospective adoptive parent must be no more than 45 years older than the child he/she adopts, though some exceptions may be made for children with more moderate special needs.
- The family must be financially stable and able to provide for the needs of a child.
- There is no family size limit, but family must prove that they can meet the individual needs of the child.
- The applicants must be legally married for at least two (2) years, together for three (3) years, and have no more than three (3) divorces per couple. Single women, as well as same-sex married couples of either gender, are permitted to adopt children with special needs.
- Families adopting from Colombia must be mentally and physically fit to parent. Applicants who have had cancer must be at least 5 years in remission.
There are certain medical conditions that MAY not be approved in Colombia. These include illnesses with a poor prognosis such as:
- Heart Disease
- Certain types of cancer
- Degenerative disease
- Chronic infectious disease
- Kidney insuffiency
- Metabolic disease
- HIV or AIDSVascular Cerebral Disease
If you have a particular medical condition, please consult with the staff at MAA prior to submitting an application.